Friday, August 27, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Day 6

Day 06 → Something you hope you never have to do.

There's not much back story to this post, it's simple, honest, and pretty straightforward. I know most people have said they hope to never have to outlive their child. I agree wholeheartedly. I can't even begin to fathom the pain a parent must endure when losing a child. It is beyond my scope of comprehension. I do, however, have a point of reference...and that's where I'll go with my post.

I've said in some of my previous #30daysoftruth posts that my sister and I have a relationship that is much more mother-daughter than most sisters encounter. Part of the reason for that is that my sister has a medical condition that severely impacts her health. For the past 15 years, she's been in and out of the hospital regularly. When she gets sick, she needs constant 24-hour a day care (which has typically been split between my mother and myself). Despite our care, my sister typically ends up hospitalized a few times a year for 3-10 days at a time. A few years ago my mom moved to another state and I took on the task of taking care of my sister alone.* The years of prolonged illness have taken a toll on my sister physically, mentally, & emotionally. The pain and suffering she endures shakes me to the core each time I witness it. Her body cannot take much more of it. I've had to face the fact that unless they can find something to stop the cycle of her illness, I might lose her way too soon. So right now, at this point in my life, my greatest fear is that I might lose my baby sister. She's only 31 years old and I can't wrap my mind around a life without her. She is my best friend, my most precious confidant, the person I would sacrifice for above all others. I would gladly take her place if I could.

So for the purposes of this post I must say that the thing I hope I never have to do is to lose my sister. I pray will all my heart that God will protect her, heal her, spare her and that the doctors will find some way to stop the pain and illness she faces.

* I have an amazing support group of friends and love ones who are there to help me as I help her. I would be lost without them. They are truly a blessing to me for which I can't even begin to express my gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment