Tuesday, August 31, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Day 10

Day 10 → Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.

So this one is fitting for me today.* For a long time The Big O (one of my closest guy friends and part of my team of therapists**) has been telling me I need to cut all the men from the past out of my life. Let's be honest, I'm not very good at cutting ties and keeping them cut. Down the line, most of the guys I've been involved with pop back up in my life. Sometimes we try the "friend" route, other times we start dating all over again. Whatever the case, I seem to end up with way too much drama from recycled guys.

About 6 months ago I had a conversation with The Big O regarding the men in my life. I know he cares about my happiness, so he didn't pull any punches. He said that as long as I keep ties to these old guys, there's no room for a new one. He's right. For so long I've held on so tightly to the guys from my past that I've never really made room in my heart, or in my life, for someone new. That needs to end.





I need to let go of the guys who I've dated, who I've loved, who have hurt me. I need to let go of the belief that there was something between us that's salvageable or destined. I need to let go of the idea that somehow it's romantic for something to have failed but then triumph over all the obstacles. Even if they haven't set me free, I need to let go of the past and make room for something new.

*One of the guys I recently cut out of my life has been consistently trying to contact me for the past few weeks - most recently, yesterday.
**My team of therapists are a collection of my closest friends that I frequently consult for advice, support, and to smack me upside the head when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment