Monday, September 20, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Day 24

Day 24  Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)

This playlist is dedicated to My Little Devil. The songs are filled with so many memories, emotions, and some questions that time will answer...

Red Light Special - TLC
I had to start with this song because it goes back to our beginning. While this was never just "our" song, it was the backdrop to a few of our first goofy moments together. Way back in the day we used to sit in a private chat room and listen to music (and "slow dance"). We snuck moments alone together that way. It still makes me laugh.


Pony - Genuwine
Another one of the songs we'd listen to with the crew back in the day. I can't hear this song and not think of My Little Devil & our old y-crew. It harkens back to the very start of our flirtation and never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Broken - Seether featuring Amy Lee
When this song first came out both of us were drawn to it. We both loved the vocals but there was something more. It captures how we feel about each other. We've always known that both of us are slightly broken. We are far from perfect. And yet our imperfections compliment each other. We are less broken together. It's not that we aren't whole or functional without each other, but we seem to help each other become stronger. "I don't feel right when you're gone away."

The Space Between - Dave Matthews Band
DMB is one of my favorite bands and you'll definitely see that in this playlist. Years ago we talked about how this song. We talked about "us" and the space between us both physically & metaphorically. I know that in all actuality there is no space between us. Because whatever space there is, we've filled with love. 

The Chair - George Strait
My Little Devil is a country boy at heart. I absolutely love this about him. His midwest values & charm stole my breath away early on. I wouldn't change it for the world. He's always sent me songs that spoke to "us" or that he thought I'd like. This was one of the first country songs we shared. I could picture us in a bar living out this song. He'd be shy but coy, I'd flirt. And somehow we'd find each other. "It reminds me of you and me, baby. Do you think there's a chance?"

Where Are You Going - Dave Matthews Band
Another DMB song he sent me and took my breath away. We've had some challenges in each of our lives, but we've always gone through them together. I know no matter how many miles are between us at any given point he's always with me. We've both considered relocating at different points. I know without a doubt that we will eventually end up in the same place. I'm not sure where that will be but it's so true... "Where you are is where I belong"

When She Loves You - Emerson Hart
When I love someone, I love them completely. I give all of my heart, all of my soul, all of my energy. I know that My Little Devil loves the same way when he really gives his heart. I truly believe that we have the potential to have the kind of love this song describes and I think he knows it.

Lips of an Angel - Hinder
There have been a few points over the years where both of us have dated other people, yet there's always been this connection between us that is deeper than just friends. There's always been the "But she/he is not you". This song reminds me of that connection. Every time we hear each other's voice I think it makes us both weak. 

I Miss You - Incubus
Every single time I talk to My Little Devil I tell him I miss him. Every time. I cannot have a conversation and not let him know how very much he is a part of my heart and how much I miss him in between. I could not live knowing that the last conversation we had didn't include it. I know he already knows it. I've been telling him constantly since I was 19. But this song says it so well. I am so grateful for him and knowing he feels the same is beyond incredible. I miss him every day regardless of how close or far we are from each other.

Knock Knock - Lenka
The very first time I heard this song, I knew it I had to send it to My Little Devil (and I did that same day). It's cute and silly, and soooooooo true. He is the thing I turn to always. He is my remedy. He's the one person I know will always make me feel okay. He'll always let in me when I knock. And it's absolutely amazing to have that. 

What Would Happen - Meredith Brooks
"What would happen if we kissed?" - That line sums it up. We've gone back and forth so many times about if we should cross the line and see what could be between us, but we both know there's no going back. There always been something so intense between us - at times even forbidden and yet undeniable. 

Saviour - Lights
This song is a recent addition to the songs that make me think of My Little Devil. He's always been the guy I turn to. I've never felt I needed a guy to "rescue" me because I believe I'm strong enough on my own, but if there were a man to save me, it would be My Little Devil. He's the one guy I feel safe relying on. I'm not afraid to be weak around him and that is an incredibly freeing feeling. 


Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd - Dave Matthews Band
I listened to this song on repeat the entire plane ride to Vegas. I went to there to spend the weekend with My Little Devil and his dad & brother. Originally it was going to be a guys poker trip, but then somehow I became a chance for us to spend time together. He even offered to drive from MO to CA to pick me up and then back to Vegas just so I wouldn't have to fly. He's amazing. This song reminds me of that...it reminds me of how even when there's time or space between us, he pulls me right back. Every time I see him, he takes me right back again...


Wonderwall - Oasis
I remember when this song came out. I felt like it was speaking to "us". So many of the lines just "fit", like we've always just "fit".
"I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now"

"There are many things that I would like to say to you but I don't know how"

"Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me..."


Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson
I love this song. For me it completely captures the feeling of wanting to spend time with someone no matter what you're doing. It's the epitome of romance, friendship, love, comfort. All you want to do is be together. I can completely picture "pretending" with him. :)


The Story - Brandi Carlile
The most recent addition to "our songs". Just about a month ago he sent me a version of this song (sung by a guy). It's our story in so many ways. I know he was made for me. He is my best friend. He is the soul's twin. I know him. He knows me. He was made to be in my life. I can't imagine one day without him. And it means so much to me that he feels the same.  


The One - Limp Bizkit
This is "our song". Over 10 years ago we chose it. It speaks to "us" in so many ways. I think we both know that we could be so happy together. There's always been so much potential there. And yet we've always had that slight hesitation that is captured in this song. I know I've been tentative. But there's still certainty in it. I don't know how to describe it. He could definitely, without a doubt be "the one".

No comments:

Post a Comment